Beautiful Fanad Head Lighthouse is situated on the northern coast of the Fanad Peninsula in County Donegal between Mulroy Bay and Lough Swilly. It was determined necessary following the wreck of the HMS Saldanha on the rocks in December 1811. The only survivor of that wreck was the ship’s parrot who was wearing a silver collar engraved with the Saldanha’s name.
The lighthouse was designed by civil engineer, Gearge Halpin and lit for the first time on St. Patrick’s Day in 1817. The light shone red to sea and white to Lough Swilly. The light could be seen for 14 miles out to sea.
Fanad Head Lighthouse became electric in 1975 and became fully automated in 1983. It is one of 70 lighthouses protecting ships on the coast of Ireland.
Thanks to George Bonsall for the photos.